Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Two Weeks Old




It is so hard to believe that our little one is two weeks old today. These past two weeks have been full of visits from friends and family, visits to the doctor for weight checks, countless feedings and untold numbers of dirty diapers.

Our apartment has been a very popular place these past two weeks. We have had more visitors in the past two weeks, than I think we have had the entire time we have lived in this apartment. Jermaine's mom and Grammy came and stayed with us right after Josiah was born. They were here to take care of us as we came home from the hospital. His Grandpa Bob joined the celebration later that weekend. In the hospital Josiah got to meet his Uncle Ben and Liz. We also had many people from church come and visit us, although we had to cut some of their visits short because he got very hungry. My best friends Jeneille and Holly got to come and visit, as well. And I am sure there are others I am forgetting, but I have a good excuse, I was extremely tired and just a little bit drugged at the time.

Since coming home, my parents have been able to come down and visit from Nebraska. They actually just left this morning. So Josiah got lots of snuggles from his Grandma Patsy and Papa Bob (Some day our kid is no longer going to get his two grandfathers confused) and his Aunt Emma. Although, I think Emma was much more excited about meeting Percy our cat than her nephew. I don't think she acknowledge Josiah's existence until the third day she was here. She was too busy chasing the cat. Josiah has also meet lots of Mommy and Daddy's friends and I am sure he will meet many more in the weeks to come. Jermaine is dying to go and show him off to his kids at school. I am much more hesitant to take him to meet my 8th graders.

Jermaine and I have also ventured out with our little one. We have made three trips to Target. One not very happy trip to the mall. I have no idea what I was thinking taking a newborn to the mall on a busy Sunday afternoon. We were going to go to the zoo, but decided against it because of the strong Texas winds. We will try again some other day.

Josiah and I are still trying to figure out the whole feeding schedule thing. Actually, I am trying to figure out his schedule. He has it all figured out; cry and/or make cute suckling faces and he gets fed. He is eating either every hour, every two hours or sometimes when I am lucky in the middle of the night every three hours. This routine is making for one tired Momma. So far, Josiah doesn't want anything to do with the bottle; Jermaine has tried to feed him a couple of times. And he has only taken a pacifier two or three times. Mostly the pacifier has the complete opposite effect on him, making him madder rather than calming him down. I feel sorry for whatever daycare provider we find.

And no, I haven't found a daycare yet. I really hate the idea of putting him in someone else's care. We do have an appointment to meet with someone tomorrow evening and I am going to call a few more places in the next couple of days. So pray for us. Personally, I would love to get the blessing of an extra paycheck so I can stay home for the last four and a half weeks of school. I have a feeling I will cry everyday that I am at school and not with him. My poor students are not going to know what to do with me.

I think that is all that is going on in our little family.

2 comments:

say what? said...

I can't believe it's already been two weeks! That is amazing. I'm glad your family was able to make it down. We'll have to get together again soon!

Kevin and Courtney said...

He is just GORGEOUS!! If you are ever in Houston and have some time, please let us know! We would love to meet your little bundle of joy! Also, I am reading Babywise in preparation for breastfeeding. It outlines a GREAT eat, wake, sleep cycle that may help you establish a eating routine with Josiah. Take care - and enjoy these last few weeks of maternity leave. Thankfully summer isn't TOO far away!